Sunday 3 July 2022

Anthony Berkeley -The Silk Stocking Murders - Collins Crime Club/The Detective Club - 2017

 





Anthony Berkeley -The Silk Stocking Murders - Collins Crime Club/The Detective Club - 2007

"A Roger Sheringham Detective Novel" 

2007 reprint of book first published in 1928

It is a while since I read this. I usually like to review books promptly after reading them but in this case real life got in the way. 

I remember this as an intelligent and ingenious novel, that I enjoyed very much. 

It is said that the central character has may of the attributes of the author himself. I mention this is there ae two female characters, either of whom could very easily have taken on the role off the detective`s sidekick. Considering they are relatively minor characters, the author seems to go to some length to portray them, which made me wonder if they were based on women he knew. 

I personally did work out the identity of the villain of the piece, which I actually found a bit disappointing. When I was younger I tended to be quite pleased if I could solve the case correctly, now I find I actually prefer to be surprised.

I gather some readers have accused the author of showing anti-Semitic leanings in this book. I cannot see that at all. Some characters do express the prejudice against Jews which seems to have been widespread at the time, but the central character, and presumably the author, disagrees repeatedly and emphatically.

My recollection is that on finishing reading this I decided I would have to try more of Berkeley`s books. Can`t say fairer than that !



  



No comments:

Post a Comment