Friday 4 November 2022

Jonathan Goodman(Ed) - Medical Murders - BCA - 1992

 





Jonathan Goodman (ed) - Medical Murders - BCA  - 1992

(Book originally published by Piatkus the previous year)

Contributors ; Jonathan Goodman, Edward H Smith, Harold Eaton, Joan Lock, Rev Evelyn Burnaby and 8 others

This was a book I found on a charity stall at my local supermarket. Having proffered what I hope was a suitable donation I trotted happily home, ready to immerse myself in the world of murderous medics, dangerous doctors and poisonous practitioners. 

The book was enjoyable, but a bit patchy. Most of the pieces were originally published  in other true crime collections, a couple seem to have been written specifically for inclusion in this volume and two were originally  newspaper articles.

Some contributors have done their homework - Albert Borowitz has clearly made a particular study of the murder of Dr George Parkman at Harvard Medical College in Boston (1849) - but while I may be treating them unfairly,  others may not have drawn on such a wide range of sources.

All are readable and informative, however, though I did feel that Richard Whittington-Egan in his piece on the crimes of Arthur Warren Waite rather overdid the humour and at times his comments were ill-judged. 

Overall, I am happy to have read this book, and I would be tempted to seek out other works by some of the contributors, but I would be not be in a hurry to try any of Jonathan Goodmans` other crime collections -  unless another unexpected bargain comes my way, of course. 




No comments:

Post a Comment