Friday 21 April 2023

J S Fletcher - The Lost Mr Linthwaite -

 




J S Fletcher - The Lost Mr Linthwaite

I am a big fan of J S Fletcher but I must admit The Lost Mr Linthwaite is not destined to become a personal favourite.

The plot of the story is actually pretty good, but somehow neither the characters or the location really come to life in this one.   

Very often, I encounter books/short stories from the `20s, or indeed from later eras, where there is no real need for much character development/background and/or too much description of locations. I`m thinking here of the works of E Phillips Oppenheim or some of the Sexton Blake Library stories. 

In my personal opinion, this story really could have done with some of those things to give it a bit of zing.

As it is, JSF has written a quite agreeable story but not a gripping one.

I would mention that my download of this (see picture) has a number of typos. They didn`t really bother me, but I do notice that Black Heath Crime have re-issued it recently and their version might be a better bet. 


   


No comments:

Post a Comment