Saturday 26 May 2018

Aqueduct Cottage, Cromford Canal, Derbyshire





Aqueduct Cottage, as it is known locally, is a derelict lock keepers` cottage located on a bank of the Cromford Canal.

A Member of the Friends of Cromford Canal told me that it has not been inhabited since 1974, that no utilities have ever been connected to the cottage and that after it fell into disuse it was damaged by a fallen tree, with no attempt to restore or renovate it since that time.

Blogger Peter Daykin (pandy.me.uk) states that it now belongs to Derbyshire Wildlife Trust (there is a nature reserve backing on to and overlooking the cottage) and refers interested parties to Wirksworth Parish Records and the Friends of Cromford Canal, though presumably the Wildlife Trust may also be able to help.

Recently the owners have had the building boarded up and commissioned local artists to do their thing to the exterior where possible.








Before it was boarded up I personally did enter it and explore a number of times. I now realise that may not have been sensible !

 I recall that although the first floor had presumably collapsed, you could see where it had been and the rooms seemed to have been quite a bit lower than would be usual in a modern home. The door I think was very low as well, though I have seen a photo of an occupant standing in the doorway and  it was in proportion to her height. I believe this tells us a lot about the nutritional realities of life for the Victorian poor, who were often considerably shorter than people are today.

I recall a metal bed frame rusting away inside the cottage, again too big for a modern child, too small for a modern adult. 

I may have some pictures of it from before it was boarded up. If I can find them, I`ll post them as soon as I can.  


4 comments:

  1. A bit more on the cottage - http://www.pandy.me.uk/canal/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over 400 photos of the cottage, some as early as 1894, can be found on the Friends of Aqueduct Cottage Facebook page. Its a public page and full of interesting information. Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for responding sooner. I have in fact found the excellent Friends of Aqueduct Cottage Facebook group and joined it. Thanks for getting in touch, I appreciate it.Nick Osmond.

      Delete
  3. there is a superior way. Bureau creators benefit Brisbane offer their exceptional aptitudes to ensure that you get a bureau precisely like you need.Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturer

    ReplyDelete