Friday 10 April 2020

Mike Holgate - The Secret of the Babbacombe Murder - Peninsula Press - 1995 (John Lee)






Mike Holgate - The Secret of the Babbacombe Murder ; the Mysterious Case of John Lee, the Man They Could Not Hang - Peninsula Press - 1995

I don`t write full reviews of books unless they`re very fresh in my mind and unfortunately some weeks have passed since I finished reading this. 

I can tell you that I enjoyed it and would recommend it. The looks at various accounts of the case of John Lee (sometimes referred to as Babbacombe Lee) , who escaped death by hanging in 1885 after three successive attempts to carry out his sentence were unsuccesful. 

As I recall, the author seems happiest comparing different accounts without intruding his own views too much, but it is fair to say some of the myths surrounding the case are addressed and, to my mind, disproved.




No comments:

Post a Comment