Sunday 1 September 2019

Johnny Orlando - Sing a Song for Free







Johnny Orlando - Sing a Song for Free -Pye - 1972 - Promo Copy

NB -This is the original Johnny Orlando, not the other one. 

This is a recent addition to my music collection and one that I prize very highly.

I cannot tell you a lot about him, other than the fact that he is a long-established and well-respected singer of reggae/pop/soul. He has a knack for songwriting and concentrates mainly on love songs.

His real name is Leslie Alexander Vassell, and in younger days he did sometimes record as Al Vassell. 

Now in his 70s, he is still active in music today, based in the UK, and has recently performed in Spain and England.

Sing a Song for Free has a `60s pop/soul feel to it. Some might find it a bit lightweight but not me. 

Amazingly, I had no trouble finding a copy at a reasonable price and in fact there were a few copies about when I bought mine, most apparently in decent condition and not expensive. 

Usually I don`t collect major label releases much, but it`s kind of a period piece being on the Pye label, and I like that fact that it`s a promo copy. 

To really appreciate the great Johnny you have to hear him sing his own songs, but this is a good starting point for a collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment