Monday 23 December 2019

Mrs Pym of Scotland Yard - Nigel Morland





Earlier today I got to see a film I`ve wanted to see for some time, Mrs Pym of Scotland Yard. 

Released around 1939/1940 (sources vary) , the film is based on the Nigel Morland book of the same name. Nigel Morland is one of a number of pseudonyms used by Carl Van Biene (1905-1986).

My impression is that the film must have seemed quite dated even at the time. Mary Clare is excellent as the Mrs Pym of the title but the rest of the cast are a mixed bag. Most of the cast are elderly, which makes me think it was made after WW2 broke out.  



 
The dialogue, some of it written by Morland/Van Biene himself, has some flashes of wit, and the story is quite intriguing. Despite it`s shortcomings I would say it is a good film overall. 




As far as I know this is the only Mrs Pym film, which seems a shame. It was also Mary Clares` only leading role in a film which is very surprising to me. 

A lot of people won`t want to persevere with this one, but if you are prepared to be patient it does make quite rewarding viewing.


No comments:

Post a Comment